Pine Gate Renewables is a leading renewable energy company focused on project development and strategic financing of solar and storage projects throughout the United States. The company’s Pine Gate Impact initiative contributes to multiple non-profit organizations aimed at improving the environment and local communities. Headquartered in Asheville, NC, Pine Gate Renewables made the Inc. 5000 list in 2021, placing at #37 and named to Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list in 2021. Pine Gate Renewables works every day to achieve its mission to “Get Solar Done.” For more information, visit pinegaterenewables.com.
The Senior Director, Market Development will be responsible for leading the development of market strategies for large utility-scale solar PV and energy storage development in the Western U.S. combined with emerging technologies such as green hydrogen. The candidate will lead efforts to identify unique opportunities for large-scale greenfield development, project partnerships, or project acquisitions. Once strategies are determined, the candidate will lead on optimizing and supporting projects through project development, project finance, M&A, interconnection/transmission, and origination. The ideal candidate will bring a strong understanding of the development landscape in the Western U.S. including connections to key players, policy drivers, regulatory frameworks, power markets, transmission issues, tribal relations, federal and state land agencies, trade associations, etc.
What You’ll Do
- Identify and fully scope out innovative, forward-thinking market strategies for large utility-scale solar PV and energy storage development in the Western U.S.
- Direct internal and external resources to analyze market dynamics at a deep level to inform strategic greenfield development efforts across WECC.
- Cultivate strategic relationships with developers, IPPs, utilities, customers, and other key stakeholders.
- Participate in organized energy markets, understand compliance requirements, dispatch and revenue strategy, and implications on project finance ability.
- Participate in industry trade groups and strategic regulatory and policy efforts to shape the market to align with the company’s strategic objectives.
- Support origination efforts for new offtake opportunities with creative contracting structures.
- Support strategic planning for portfolio execution, monetization, scheduling, budgeting, etc.
- Assist with project optimization for financing, construction, and long-term operations.
- Assist with due diligence of project opportunities to identify risks to profitability and execution.
- Minimum of 7-10+ years’ experience in market development, business development, project development, or regulatory and government affairs for utility-scale solar PV or energy storage.
- Deep knowledge of federal, state, local political and regulatory landscape in the Western U.S.
- Understanding of interconnection, transmission, power markets and strategy.
- Experience contracting with utility, RTO and C&I off-takers in the Western U.S.
- Experience dealing with federal and state land agencies, tribes, and industry associations.
- Must exemplify the company’s core values of Ownership, Grit, Collaboration, and Creativity.
- Team player with ability to effectively coordinate internal and external resources.
Education and Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
Working Environment and Physical Demand
- Travel up to 30%
- Strong preference for candidate to be located in the WECC region
Pine Gate Renewables
believes in taking care of our employees by offering benefits that support their physical, mental, and financial well-being. Our comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401k, Paid Time Off, paid holidays, training, and development, giving back to the community, remote work options, dog-friendly offices, and much more. Pine Gate Renewables is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Pine Gate Renewables does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies.