About the Team
Our team brings OpenAI’s most capable technology to the world through our APIs. Most recently, we released the GPT-4 API, the ChatGPT API, and the Whisper API.
We empower developers with APIs offering state-of-the-art AI capabilities – allowing them to build product features that were never before possible.
Across all product lines, we ensure that these powerful tools are used responsibly. This is a key part of OpenAI’s path towards safely deploying broadly beneficial Artificial General Intelligence (AGI). Safety is more important to us than unfettered growth.
About the Role
We are looking for a self-starter engineer who loves building new products in an iterative and fast-moving environment. In this role, you will be working on building out the API platform which millions of developers use to build on top of our models – users of our API now include everyone from hobbyist developers to Fortune 500 companies. You will also collaborate closely with research teams to bring the latest cutting-edge models to our API.
In this role, you will:
- Architect, build, and deploy the products that power our API products
- Talk to customers of the OpenAI API to understand their problems and design solutions to address them
- Iterate rapidly to improve user and developer experience while advancing scalability, performance, observability, and security
- Collaborate closely with product managers, researchers, and the rest of our engineering team to create new products around emerging research capabilities and unsolved customer needs
Your background looks something like:
- 4+ years of relevant engineering experience at tech and product-driven companies
- Proficiency with some backend language (we use Python)
- Some experience with relational databases like Postgres/MySQL
- Interest in AI/ML (direct experience not required)
- Ability to move fast in an environment where things are sometimes loosely defined and may have competing priorities or deadlines
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity. At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
The annual salary range for this role is $200,000 – $370,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.